Second chance checking accounts are for a range of people. They are for people with a bad credit rating, people that had their other accounts locked, frozen, suspended or closed. They are also for people with a weak or non-existent credit ratings too. Despite this article refers to bank, it also stands for credit unions, building societies and any company or institution that offers second chance accounts.
They are specifically for people that have been denied accounts elsewhere. This can have an affect on your credit rating that actually makes it difficult to open other accounts because banks and such will check your record. Second chance checking accounts usually come with penalties such as maintenance fees, or fewer perks and tools. Sometimes they come with good things that may help people who are bad with money.
It’s common that these accounts may be called something besides ‘Second Chance’ — but they are the same thing: a special account designed for someone with ChexSystems problems to get a second chance at opening a bank account.
Where to Find a Second Chance Account?
Good news: there are plenty of real physical banks out there that do offer second chance banking options.
The bad news is that most of these are smaller banks and credit unions that are not in EVERY state (or only in one state). However, the bad news is tempered with the fact there are a few big bank / national bank chains that do have (as of time of this article end of 2015) second chance banking.
Below is a list of legit banks and credit unions in the US that offer some form of Second Chance Accounts for people with ChexSystems problems.
Small Banks & Credit Unions Offering Second Chance Accounts
These are the banks and credit unions you go to when you have tried the bigger companies and have been turned down.
You can see that some of them are only small organizations and their websites are not very advanced or sophisticated, but if you get an account with them, then you may start rebuilding your credit rating so that you may go back to one of the larger banks or credit unions in time.
Transferwise Currency ConversionWant to send money abroad or convert currency? We recommend using Transferwise to get the best rates. Use the Transferwise calculator below to see what your exact conversion is
See our full & more detailed list of the Best Second Chance Bank Accounts for 2015.
Many of the listed banks below do not have branches all over the country, with most only having branches in a single state. However, these banks are more likely to give you a second chance account because they need your custom more than the bigger banks and credit unions.
- CommonWealth One Federal Credit Union
- Fairfield Community Credit Union
- River Valley Community Credit Union
- Canyon State Credit Union
- CoastHills (COOP)
- Los Angeles Federal Credit Union
- Mid Cities Credit Union
- Ventura County Credit Union
- Metrum Community Credit Union
- Eastern Savings Bank
- St. Louis Community Credit Union
- Eaton Family Credit Union, Inc.
- Members Trust Federal Credit Union
- Consolidated Community Credit Union
- Erie Community Credit Union
- West Branch Valley Federal Credit Union
- Weokie (Credit Union)
- United Credit Union
- Central National Bank
- Atlantic Federal Credit Union
- UFirst Federal Credit Union
- Capital Credit Union
- Buckeye State Credit Union
- Chaco Credit Union, Inc.
- Fulton Savings Bank
- Nutmeg State Financial Credit Union
- MembersFirst Credit Union of Florida
- San Antonio Citizens Federal Credit Union
- South Florida Federal Credit Union
- FNB Bank
- Fort Knox Federal Credit Union
- Five County Credit Union
- Minnesota Valley Federal Credit Union
- Peoples Community Credit Union
- Gulf Coast Community Credit Union
- Members United Credit Union
- Robins Federal Credit Union
- Scenic Falls Federal Credit Union
- Prairieland Federal Credit Union
- Baptist Credit Union
- Kelly Community Federal Credit Union
- Peoples Bank
- Healthcare Systems Federal Credit Union
- Heritage Community Credit Union
- NuVista Federal Credit Union
- Hartford Federal Credit Union
- C-Plant Federal Credit Union
- Financial Trust Federal Credit Union
- Meadville Area Federal Credit Union
- Houston Metropolitan Federal Credit Union
- Las Colinas Federal Credit Union
- First National Bank
- WYO Central Federal Credit Union
- United Consumers Credit Union
- Citizens Union Bank
- Central Florida Postal Credit Union
- JetStream Federal Credit Union