How To Get Free Checks
Who doesn’t like free stuff? You can get free or discounted checks if you look in the right places, and know some of the secrets. You will have to do some digging and searching around however, this article will explain how and where you can get free or discounted checks.
If you are looking for customized personal checks to order online, we recommend Carousel Checks. They have an offer where you order 3 boxes and you get the 4th box free.
1. From Bank Promotions
Many banks will offer limited time promotions that will offer free checks if you switch to a different checking account etc. If you are looking to get free checks, call your bank and browse their website to see if they currently have an promotions involving free checks. Also, many banks will offer free check orders to seniors. This can vary by bank, however if you are a senior your bank might offer free checks with you even knowing it.
2. Online Banks
Most online banks (banks without actual brick and mortar locations) will offer free checks with their checking accounts. They can afford to do this because they have less overhead costs and expenses. If you really want free checks, simply open an account with an online bank. Many times, it is completely free to open a checking account and you can open an account within 15 minutes online. Also, with most online banks, there are no monthly fees associated with the account. Some well known online banks include:
- Ally Bank
- Nationwide Bank
- Discover Bank
- Bank 5 Connect
- Schwab Bank
3. Credit Unions
Credit unions are known to offer free checks with their checking accounts. Credit unions are owned by its actual account holders, thus creating a less corporate environment which has some benefits, with free checks being one of them. If you are already apart of a credit union, you could have access to free checks without even knowing of this benefit.
4. Print Your Own Checks
Another unique method to free checks is to print your own checks from home. This can be very easy and convenient. You will need magnetic ink which can be purchase at any office retailer, as well as security or carbon paper. To print your own checks, you will need to use a program such as Quicken, Microsoft Money, or Office Time. These programs will have templates that you can choose from.
Keep in mind you will need to know your specific banking routing information that is seen on the bottom of checks. To get this information, look at some of your old checks if you have any, or call your bank and ask for the banking information.
5. Open A New Account
Many banks and financial institutions will offer free checks if you open a new account. Some will offer lifetime free checks, while with others it will just be a one time offer. Some banks will offer promotions for free checks, so be on the lookout for that as well.
Below are some of the U.S. banks that offer free checks with the checking account.
- Chase offers free Chase design checks with their Chase Premier Plus Checking Account
- Chase offers free custom design checks with their Chase Premier Platinum Checking Account
- Chase offers free counters checks, which can be received within minutes
First National Bank
- First National Checking Accounts offer free bank logo checks.
Bank 5 Connect
- Bank 5 Connect High Interest Checking Account offers free checks on your first order of basic checks.
- Ally Bank Interest Checking Account offers free standard checks. Note that this is an online bank
- Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking Account offers free standard checks. Note, that this is also an online bank.
6. Counter Checks
If you just need a few checks you can head to your local bank and tell the bank teller that you need some counter checks. Many times the counter checks will be free or very inexpensive.
Need a Bank Account but have ChexSystems problems or Bad Credit?
Try opening a BBVA Compass Free Checking Account! BBVA is one of the more forgiving banks and may give you a full-fledged REGULAR bank account when you apply online...even with bad banking and credit history.
And if you don't qualify for the regular BBVA checking account for some reason, you'll then be given the option of opening the special BBVA Compass Easy Checking Account, an account designed specifically for those with banking problems.
...learn more about BBVA Second Chance Banking here
Counter checks are similar to regular checks, although they usually will not have your name on it, and they will not have a check number on them. You can usually only get a few at a time, if you need several, the bank will probably have you order a larger quantity of checks, which you might have to pay for.
Order Free/Discounted Checks Online
There are a few websites that will allow you to order very cheap checks. At times, they will even have promotions that will offer free checks, with you just having to pay for the shipping. With these websites, you will input your personal information as well as banking information. You will need to know your bank routing and transit numbers to input on the checks. You can find this info on your bank’s website, or by looking at past check books you might still have.
- Carousel Checks — you can order customized personal checks online. They have a deal where you get the 4th box FREE.
- VistaPrint.com offers a wide variety of cheap checks. You will be able to choose from a wide variety of templates which include business checks, personal checks, as well as computer checks which you can design, then print from home. The minimum amount of checks that can be ordered start at 25 checks for just a few dollars. There are many options available including a duplicate check option, as well as a black check book cover.
- citmchecks.com offers many very cheap checks similar to the Vistaprint website. One great feature about ordering checks from this website is you can get free shipping on your first order. Prices start at $5 for a box of checks. You can choose from a number of templates as well as creating your own custom checks. You can choose from personal checks, high security checks, as well as business checks.
- walmartchecks.com is a great resources to order checks. Walmart offers free shipping and handling on all the check orders in the U.S. Walmart holds true to its low price reputation even when it comes to purchasing checks. You can order 150 checks for just $7. You can choose from personal and business checks, and even computer checks that you can print from your own printer.