Agoda Review – A Hotel Booking Service
This Agoda review was very difficult to write because Agoda has both its very good side and a seemingly dark side. I don’t want to concentrate on the dark side too much because I feel it is a little unfair given that the company has so many happy customers. Yet, I cannot leave out the dark side because it is clear that some people have had a bad experience with Agoda. I have tried to keep this review as balanced as possible.
What Does Agoda Do?
Agoda is a website/service that allows you to book hotels online. It is rather good at helping you book hotels overseas because it has a large inventory of hotels. There are probably better ways of booking hotels in your own country, but Agoda is a viable option if you are looking for a hotel overseas.
Agoda – Pros
- Agoda is good when you need a hotel overseas because they have so many overseas hotels in their index. They have done a reasonably good job of contacting and striking deals with overseas hotel chains.
- They are more expensive than many online booking websites, but Agoda does have more deals than most of their competitors. Try the deals section of their website when you visit.
- The website has a clean look about it. The website is easy to use. Plus, the company makes the booking process simple.
- Agoda offers you the chance to book hotels in a wide variety of countries. It is not just a case of having a few hotel chains in a few countries, they have a variety of hotel options in the many countries that they have listed.
- There is a certain level of convenience that comes with ordering from Agoda.
Agoda – Cons
- Agoda has higher than average prices. It is not the most expensive booking site on the Internet, but it services and its rates often mean you are paying more-than-average when compared to its biggest competitors.
- The customer service department has a common excuse where they often say it was the fault of the system. When you have an issue, they usually try to blame you, and if they cannot, then they blame the system and say there is nothing they can do about it.
- You are not able to book package holidays or rental cars with Agoda, which doesn’t sound like a downside, but there are many travel/booking websites that do have this function.
- Agoda hides the final total you pay until the very end of the booking process, which makes you think that you are getting a cheaper deal than you would with their competitors. You go through the process and you enter all your details, and then you find out that the other company you were looking at was actually cheaper.
- The fact they hide the final amount you pay until the end is very unfair. Even on our most simple trial runs, the company still hid the taxes until the very end. There are a few ways that they add on extra charges. For example, they charge an extra fee for paying a certain way. Another example is where they tag on extras that you didn’t know you were getting and then charge you for them.
- There are quite a few people who say they have booked a hotel with Agoda and then their room request has been denied. People are then sent a list of hotels where there are rooms and the hotels are more expensive. Yet, on some occasions, a short phone call to the original (denied) hotel proves that they do have rooms available. Is this a scam, or does the Agoda system show wrongly assume that hotels are full when they are not?
- The customer service department sucks. Their customer service department is based in Thailand and the customer support staff have very thick accents. Some of them also have very poor English skills. It is not fun having to slowly sound out your words in the form of, “Me Want Refund Now Now.”
- Getting a refund is not impossible, but it is overly difficult. If the Agoda company messes up, or if there is a legitimate instance where a customer requires a refund, the customer will have a hard time getting that refund. Both Agoda company policy and poor quality customer support are the reasons for this problem.
- The hotel reviews that you read on Agoda are not reliable. I could go into the many reasons why this is true, I am going to reference the work another person did in proving this point. The image below shows a short essay that the woman wrote on Trip Advisor. In short, she explains why she feels that the reviews you see on Agoda are not honest.
Conclusion – Let’s Snip This Weed Before It Grows Seeds
In an attempt to stop this article turning into a hate essay that is full of negative things about Agoda, I have to say that the company is less-than-impressive. I should reiterate that the company has produced many happy customers, and the company hasn’t been the focus of any scandals or security. Yet, there are quite a few people who have a big problem with Agoda and say they have had a bad time thanks to the company.
Sadly, we couldn’t confirm if the company was bad or good because we had no problems with the three orders our research team made. Yet, it stands to reason that most of the transactions that go through Agoda are good ones and that there are only a small percentage of people who have a problem with Agoda. Despite that fact, we have to take those complaints on board because the company should be striving to do its very best by all of its customers (rather than doing its best by most of them).
To be doubly sure we are being fair, I should finish with a reminder that our review takes into account the people who have had a bad time with their hotel and then go back and blame the booking company. The issues we have covered, especially the negative issues, are directly related to the booking company. We are aware that there are online reviews on the Internet where Agoda takes the blame for things the hotels do. The fact is that if you use Agoda, then you will probably receive a good service, but you need to be aware that Agoda has a few problems that they have not yet resolved, and that may result in you having a less-than-great time or result in you paying more for your hotel than you expected.